Each year, Black Tie Dinner announces a call for applications, encouraging eligible organizations to
apply. Up to twenty local beneficiaries may be selected to receive proceeds from that year's dinner.
Simply meeting criteria for eligibility, however, does not guarantee that an organization will be selected.
Applicants are evaluated through a structured selection process.
In a review process, the Black Tie Dinner Board of Directors rates each applicant on financial
soundness and organizational health and stability as well as service to the North Texas GLBT community, including
the quality and impact of its programs, services, and activities. In addition, the board considers the
applicant’s ability to meet the requirements of Black Tie Dinner participation and, for past beneficiaries,
how well they had previously met expectations.
- The applicant must have current federal tax-exempt status as determined by the IRS.
- The applicant must provide significant service to the North Texas GLBT community.
- The applicant must use a majority of its funds for direct programs, services, or activities.
In order to maintain beneficiary status, each beneficiary must meet the following requirements:
- Assign a Black Tie Dinner liaison within the organization.
- Support and promote the Black Tie Dinner in the public arena whenever possible.
- Attend certain Black Tie Dinner events throughout the year.
- Beneficiary Orientation on April 18, 2012
- Kuchling Humanitarian Award nominations due May 3, 2012
- Black Tie Dinner Table Captain Event on June 19, 2012
- John Thomas Scholarship nominations due June 22, 2012
- Dinner Journal Ad Artwork due Sept 6, 2012
- Volunteer Recruitment Kick-Off Meeting on October 2, 2012
- Black Tie Dinner Distribution Party on December, 13 2012
- Have a minimum of 5 Black Tie Dinner tables sold and affiliated to the organization.
- Place a 2/3rd page 4-color ad in the 2011 Dinner Journal at the retail price of $800.
- Purchase a Black Tie Dinner raffle poster for exclusive use by the beneficiary.
- Sell a minimum of 25 Black Tie Dinner raffle tickets no later than two weeks before to the Dinner.
- Provide a minimum of 50 volunteer hours no later than the week following the Dinner, with at least 25
hours taking place on the weekend of the Dinner.
- Ten volunteer hours Silent Auction prior to the dinner
- Ten volunteer hours Thursday/Friday prior to the Dinner
- Five volunteer hours the day of the Dinner (before 5:00 pm)
- Ten volunteer hours the evening of the Dinner (after 5:00 pm)
- Five volunteer hours the day following the Dinner.